THE internet guide to Northamptonshire UK
Up until the mid 1950's Stanion was one of several small villages within Rockingham Forest, with little of note and a small population. However, the coming of the steel works to Corby saw a sudden growth in population and the start of new developments, which are continuing today.
Stanion, like all villages in the 19th century, was required to levy a charge on the village to help support the poor and in the case of Stanion, this resulted on the building of an Almshouse in the High Street, known as 'workhouse row'.
Stanion village school was contructed in 1840 for the use of 72 village children and later became the village hall, until the later contruction of a newer building.
As well as the village church, a Methodist Chapel was build in 1907 in, not suprisingly, Chapel Lane.
No.25 High Street was a former rectory and has a distinctive medieval doorway. Outside the house are the remains of what was once a village cross.
Since the 1970's new building has been taking place in the village and at the present time in early 2004 several new developments of executive houses are underway.
Only a few miles from major supermarkets in Corby and Kettering, the village still has its own post office, a couple of village pubs and village hall. There is a Church of England primary school in the village. Secondary schools are available in Corby and Kettering.
Other local information can be found via
Within the church is a wall painting, dating from the 15th century depicting a kneeling stag and unicorn.
Also in the church is a unique, carved whalebone nearly 2mtrs long, which along with the local inn, called The Lord Nelson, perhaps indicate some distant connection with the sea. Local legend has it, however, that the bone is actually the rib of a cow which was so enormous it was able to supply the whole village with milk, until local witches caused her death and burial at a place called 'Cow Common' on the main Corby to Kettering Road!
|LOCAL BOOKS||LOCAL MAP||LOCAL NOTES||PICTURES||OTHER PLACES||MAIN INDEX||WRITE TO US|
site maintained by